NOTICE: All volunteer shifts are suspended at Front Steps/The ARCH until further notice. Let’s take care of ourselves/each other as we wait to see what happens. Thank you if you still WANT to volunteer–but the answer is NO. We are doing everything we can to minimize risk for our clients, staff, and friends.
Front Steps continues to review/update our protocols regarding public safety and the coronavirus, COVID-19. We get updates from Austin Public Health (APH) who is closely monitoring the rapidly evolving situation in coordination with the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS), the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and local and regional public health and healthcare agencies.
Thank you for your interest in being a volunteer with Front Steps! We welcome volunteers who are passionate about helping Front Steps, and are interested in restoring hope to the homeless in Austin. By dedicating their time, energy, and skills, our volunteers change the lives of our clients. If you feel a call to help those less fortunate and want to raise awareness about homelessness and poverty, then Front Steps may be the right place for you.
Front Steps’ Mission Statement for Volunteers
Front Steps seeks a diverse and committed population for meaningful community service opportunities that empower volunteers to contribute their gifts and talents to building stronger and healthier individuals and communities.
Goals of Front Steps’ Volunteer Program
- Encourage and recruit diverse participation and community involvement
- Provide a positive experience that expands knowledge and encourages sharing of skills and talents
- Educate the community on homeless issues and solutions
- Retain trained and committed volunteers
- Create an extensive volunteer network
Is Front Steps right for you?
- Do you feel comfortable working with homeless and formerly homeless individuals?
- Are you able to give some of your time on a weekly or monthly basis?
- Do you agree with our philosophy that all people deserve the dignity of a space place to call home?
- Are you committed to restoring hope to homeless men and women?
- Are you at least 18 years old?
How do I become a volunteer?
- Familiarize yourself with our opportunities to serve.
- Fill out the Volunteer Application Form here.
- If selected, you will receive an invitation to attend a volunteer orientation session, held at the ARCH. Please note that our orientation sessions are currently suspended. We will respond to applicants who have submitted forms when we reopen orientations and volunteer shifts. That may be as late as May 1, 2020.